Photo by Dee Garber Studio. Art by 2012 participant.
Event DescriptionTheme: 150th Anniversary of Battle of Hanover & 250th Anniversary of Hanover
Artists of all ages will transform Hanover’s sidewalks into colorful works of art. Each participant will be given an assigned square of sidewalk, chalk and time to convert concrete into temporary art. At 4 p.m., squares will be judged and monetary awards given to the artists.
New this year! World-renowned Michael William Kirby, a leading public artist and street painter from Baltimore, MD is coming to Hanover. Kirby will also create one of his own masterpieces during Chalk it Up Hanover beginning at 8 a.m.!
Kirby has nearly 20 years of experience creating permanent and temporary public art pieces around the world. Kirby has been commissioned and contracted for his unique and original view 3D street art, 3D street painting, 3D chalk art, ephemeral art, or 3D sidewalk art. This technique of using sharp angles and adjusting the image to the viewers’ point of view was adapted from Kirby's time while creating sets and props for Opera companies and Movie/TV sets in Italy. The technique of forced perspective and 3D illusions has been around in theatre since the ancient Greeks. Kirby was one of the first artists to adapt this technique with his own unique style to public art.
Sidewalk spaces are approx. 4ft x 4 ft. You may use any or all of the space. Participants can pick up their assigned space at the registration table, located in the Fountain Quadrant (northwest quadrant) the morning of the event. Over 100 spaces are available.
1. Please try to keep your supplies contained near your space.
2. Please respect the other artists who are working near your space. Do not walk on other artist paintings or have open beverage containers that could spill and destroy someone's artwork.
3. No fixatives may be used on the chalk drawings.
4. No music allowed, unless you wear portable headsets or earphones.
5. Members of Saturdays on Main Street will be at the registration table for your assistance. Please do not hesitate to ask for chalk, water, etc.
6. Maximum 5 people to a square. If ages of your people spans more than one category, you may be considered a FAMLY/GROUP.
7. Please NO oil chalk or pastels. You must use only the chalk provided to you.
8. Art must be family-friendly.
9. Your photo will be taken unless you indicate otherwise to photographer.
10. Artists may begin as late as 2 p.m., but must complete art by 3 p.m. to be considered for prizes.
11. I/We will hold the Hanover Area Chamber of Commerce, Main Street Hanover, Borough of Hanover and Saturday on Main Street harmless for event.
Chalk will be provided at no charge. If you are creating an image originally created by another artist (living or deceased), please give credit to the artist and the title at the base of your design.